Is LASIK Right for Me?
- Posted on: Jul 12 2012
As an ophthalmologist in Winchester, one of the top questions I’ll hear time and time again is, “Is LASIK right for me?” And, simply put, there’s no simple answer! Only a qualified medical professional can determine if LASIK’s right for you. There are, however, certain factors that good LASIK candidates share.
Not sure where to look? To get you started, here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Are you in good health? Good candidates for LASIK are healthy and free of autoimmune disorders such as Lupus, HIV and muscular sclerosis.
- Do you have any eye conditions? Certain eye conditions are not compatible with laser eye surgery. Often, these include cataracts, chronic corneal infections or keratoconus.
- Are you the right age? In the US, LASIK is FDA approved for patients over the age of 18. On the other hand, if you’re worried you’re too old for a LASIK procedure, consider this: Reporting on a recent study on LASIK in older patients, WebMD explains that, “Patients in their 60s were just as likely to have good [LASIK] outcomes as those in their 40s and 50s.”
- Is your dependence on glasses or contacts holding you back? For many patients, reducing their dependence on glasses and contact lenses is a major reason they’re exploring LASIK in the first place. A lot of folks find glasses and contacts to be uncomfortable, inconvenient and unattractive. And, while it can’t guarantee that you’ll never need to put on a pair of glasses again, LASIK will very often reduce a patient’s dependence on them.
- Are you ready to learn more? Finally, a good LASIK candidate is an informed LASIK candidate. Be sure to understand the potential risks and benefits of the procedure, maintain realistic expectations, and most importantly, schedule a consultation with a qualified LASIK surgeon.
Schedule a LASIK Consultation Today
To learn more about laser eye surgery, don’t hesitate to contact us today. Together, we can find the best treatment options for you. Our offices are located in Winchester, serving Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland. Book your appointment at (540) 722-6200.
Posted in: LASIK