For patients with diabetes, taking care of your eyes is just as important as managing your blood sugar levels. Diabetes can increase the risk of developing various eye diseases that can lead to vision loss and even blindness.
To safeguard eye health, it is crucial for diabetic individuals to schedule diabetic eye appointments annually. At Shenandoah LASIK & Cataract Center, they understand how diabetes can affect eye health. It’s vital for diabetic patients to receive regular eye exams and avoid the consequences of untreated diabetic retinopathy.
How Can Diabetes Affect Eye Health?
Diabetes can lead to eye diseases, including diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, and glaucoma. Increased levels of blood sugar mean a higher risk of developing these conditions. To make things more complicated, the symptoms of these eye diseases may not be immediately apparent.
That’s why regular eye exams play a crucial role in detecting and treating eye diseases early. It’s also important to:
- Maintain stable blood sugar levels
- Adhere to prescribed medications
- Follow a healthy diet
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid smoking
Understanding Diabetic Retinopathy and Its Consequences
Diabetic retinopathy is a common complication of diabetes that can lead to serious vision issues. If left untreated, diabetic retinopathy can result in:
- Vitreous Hemorrhage: Abnormal blood vessels can bleed into the vitreous, potentially obstructing vision temporarily.
- Retinal Detachment: Scar tissue formation can cause the retina to pull away from the back of the eye, resulting in vision loss.
- Glaucoma: The abnormal growth of blood vessels can disrupt fluid flow, leading to increased eye pressure and, eventually, optic nerve damage.
- Blindness: Left untreated, diabetic retinopathy can eventually lead to permanent vision loss.
Importance of Regular Eye Exams
Regular eye exams are the best defense for diabetic patients to avoid diabetic retinopathy and other eye issues.
Early detection of diabetic retinopathy can prevent vision loss and enable timely treatment to manage the disease’s effects. If you have diabetes, yearly eye exams are highly recommended.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Do not compromise your vision: Prioritize your eye health and schedule an annual eye exam with Shenandoah LASIK & Cataract Center.
Their expert ophthalmologists specialize in managing eye health for patients with diabetes. Regular eye exams can help detect diabetic retinopathy and other eye conditions early, offering the best chance for successful treatment.
To request an appointment at their Winchester, VA, office, call 540-722-6200 today or contact them online.